Saturday 31 August 2013

Practice Makes a Bunch of Stuff

So I spent some time sharpening my turning skills.  Nothing too exciting, but I spent some time doing it so I will show what I have been up to.

 


This little scoop is made from beech.  The trick to making these is to make the little ball on the end as close to a perfect sphere as possible.  Then you can mount it in the jaws of the chuck with the handle sticking out to the side between the jaws and hollow the centre.
 
 
A small dish made from walnut burl.
 
 
I like the effect of burls.  At its best, the wood appears to be boiling and frozen at the same time.
 
 
This dish was made from a branch from a mountain ash tree that grew in my back yard.  It was cut through at a point where two smaller branches came off.
 
 
The nice thing about this wood is that it is very stable so you can do end grain turnings with it and not have to worry about it developing a bunch of checks.
 
 
Same branch, natural edge with the bark left on, side grain.  Both pieces were finished with mineral oil & wax.
 
 
More pens made with Amazing Casting Resins.  The pen on the left is made with the clear cast and shavings.  The other three are made with the 10 minute resin.

 
This pen and pencil are linked.  The pencil was made with shavings left over from the pen.

 
 Just to be different, I made a pen and pencil from actual wood.  they are finished with Hutt wax and pen polish.
 
I do think that practising turning helps to improve my skills.  The only problem is that now I'm tired of turning for a while and want to move on to other things.  It's this scattered approach that keeps me from really developing my skills.  It's all just so much fun.
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment